By : Ms. Jo
“If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another.”~ Tenzin Gyasto, The 14th Dalai Lama
Our Sophisticated Diva this week is a young Woman by the name of Somy Ali. Born in Karachi, Pakistan, this actress, model, Human rights advocate, free lance journalist and documentary film maker goes unheard of by many but continues to work relentlessly to help shed light as well as help domestic violence victims through direct services and influential policy.
On March 25th Somy Ali was born and raised in Karachi until the tender age of seven. Then was moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Start a new life with her mother and younger brother. In 1992, at the age of 16 Somy relocated to Mumbai, India to purse modeling as well as becoming an actress in Hindi films. In 1999 Somy moved back to America and obtain a Bachelors degree in psychology, graduated with a degree in film making and also obtained a degree in broadcast journalism. She completed three short films on Abortion, teenage suicide and Domestic Violence.
Ms. Ali is the founder and president of a nonprofit organization by the name of No more tears’ which mission is to empower people to live safe, hopeful and happy lives. But more so aids to help immigrant women who suffer from domestic violence and abuse.
- Somy was one of ten to be honored by L’Oreal women at the 2013 ceremony
- Somy also received five awards for efforts of supporting human rights
- Played the lead in 10 Bollywood movies and had done several commercials
- Has seven printed publications in south Florida and interviewed by nine television networks
- She speaks English, Urdu (Pakistan), Hindi (India)
To learn More about Somy Ali and the No More Tears Project. To Make a Pledge and Save a Life Click the link below